- As a representative of WSSU’s athletics interests, YOU MAY NOT be involved in the recruiting process. Only Winston-Salem State University coaches who have passed the NCAA Recruiting Rules Examination may be involved in the recruitment process for a given sport.
- YOU MAY NOT make any contact, including telephone calls and letters, to a prospect or the prospect's family, on or off campus. If a coach has a recruit at an athletic event, you should not approach the coach until the prospect and family have left. If a prospect approaches you off campus regarding the athletic program, explain that NCAA rules do not permit you to discuss the program. Suggest that the prospect contact the head coach of the sport for information.
- However, you may be of assistance by forwarding all information on prospective student-athletes to the appropriate coach.
- YOU MAY NOT make contact with a prospective student-athlete and his or her legal guardian(s) on an official visit to the campus.
- YOU MAY NOT provide cash or the use of an automobile to a prospect or student-host on his or her official visit to the campus.
- YOU MAY NOT contact an enrolled student-athlete at another institution for the purpose of encouraging transfer to the Winston-Salem State University and participation in our athletic program.
Offers and Inducements
- Representatives of athletics interests may not directly or indirectly provide, or arrange for provision of, any financial aid or other benefits to a prospect (or the prospect's relatives or friends) other than those expressly permitted by NCAA regulations. Therefore, the following rules govern your contact with prospective student-athletes.
- YOU MAY NOT become directly or indirectly involved in making arrangements for a prospect or the prospect's family or friends to receive money or financial aid of any kind.
- YOU MAY NOT transport, pay or arrange for payment of transportation costs for a prospect, relatives or friends to visit campus or elsewhere. While it is permissible for a friend or neighbor to transport a high school or community college student who is NOT an athlete to the campus, NCAA regulations prohibit this activity for a prospective student-athlete.
- YOU MAY NOT provide room and/or board, transportation of any kind or any other benefit to a recruited student-athlete during the period of the individual's eligibility, including the summer prior to initial enrollment.
- YOU MAY NOT entertain or provide tickets at reduced cost to WSSU home or away athletic or non-athletic events to a prospect, the prospect's family or friends. Admission to these events is strictly managed by the Division of Athletics.
- YOU MAY NOT pay or offer to pay registration fees for summer sports camps for a prospect.
- YOU MAY NOT provide ANYTHING to a prospect, the prospect's family or friends without first discussing it with the Compliance Office at the University of Connecticut.
- Please note there are some permissible activities regarding prospective student-athletes. These can be found under the "Permissible Activities by Representatives" link.
Contact with High School and Junior College Coaches
- YOU MAY NOT contact a prospect's coach, principal or counselor for the purpose of evaluating the prospect. You are NOT permitted to pick up films or transcripts from the prospect's educational institution.
- YOU MAY NOT entertain high school, prep school or junior college coaches at any location.
- YOU MAY NOT provide tickets or transportation for high school, prep school, or junior college coaches at any location. Only the Division of Athletics may provide complimentary admission to those coaches for regular season home athletic events.
- YOU MAY NOT reimburse high school, prep school, or junior college coaches of a prospect for expenses incurred in transporting a prospect to visit the campus.